BEIJING, Aug. 8, 2008: The 29th summer Olympic Games opened in Beijing on Friday night. The following are some facts and figures about the opening ceremony.
- The opening was held in the National Stadium, also known as the Bird’s Nest, in the Olympic Green in northern Beijing.
- The stadium was jointly designed by Herzog & de Meuron Design Office, and China Architecture Design & Research Group and ARUP.
- Its construction began on Dec. 24, 2003, and completed on June 30, 2008. Altogether 45,000 tonnes of steel was used to build its framework.
- The stadium’s seating capacity is 91,000, including 11,000 temporary seats. The floor space is 258,000 square meters.
- A major elevating platform at the center is 20 meters in diameter, weighing about 400 tonnes, and can reach 11.4 meters high at a speed of zero to 12 meters per minute.
- Two moving lids on the stage serve as a roof.
- A 36 by 22 meters LED screen is installed on the plates.
- On the south and north sides are 30 complementary platforms, with each 3-meter-wide and 3-meter-long.
- When the two lids move toward the center, the complementary platforms will rise and make up the stage.
- Two sets of 22-meter-long LED scroll painting were installed, with a diameter of 22 meters.
- With LED images shown on it, the scroll painting can stretch 147 meters long.
- Ten steel ropes are hung above the stage, weighing 40 tonnes in all and with a total length of 55 kilometers.
- Among the 31 wire devices, 16 sets can carry a load of 300 kilograms each, with a load of 100 kilograms for each of the other 15. All can move at 3 meters per second and can function at the same time.
- One hundred jumping facilities with a load capacity of 80 kilograms each are set under the rim of the roof edge, which can move at 3 meters per second and be operated simultaneously.
LED SCREEN ON THE GROUND
- A 147 by 22 meters LED screen is laid at the center. Approximately 44,000 colorful LED beads are embedded with a distance of 600 millimeters between each two.
- 287 points on the top of National Stadium
- 27 positions in the central area of National Stadium
- 12 positions in the Olympic Green
- 29 positions on the axis of the city
- 4 places in other urban areas