- Name of the building : PVR Plaza
- Location : Connaught Place , New Delhi.
- Renovation Year : 2003
- Architect (Renovation): Monit Rastogi, Morphogenesis Arch. Studio
- Owner : PVR Group
REFLECTED CEILING PLAN
LIGHT FIXTURES AND LUX LEVELS USED IN THE CINEPLEX
LUX LEVEL REQUIRED
|Food Joint||200 lux||More|
|Waiting Lounge||500 lux||Adequate|
|Entrance Hall||500 lux||Adequate|
LIGHT FIXTURES USED IN THE CINEPLEX
- Recessed dimmable artlite RL 1759-adjustable-120w- wide angle With black reflector.
- Recessed artlite RL1770-fixed-100 w –on emergency circuit.
- Recessed type with rosette.
- Fluorescent type- 36 w.
- 150w metal halide light fixture.
- Chain light.
- 18 w pl light fixture.
- 120 w par lamp.
- 36 w floor light fixture.
The auditorium is provided with dimmable halogen and simple halogens with latter also being on emergency circuit.
- Ceiling mounted lighting fixtures in a circular pattern.
- Central light fixture with pasters on the walls.
- Ambient lighting has been used to highlight the entrance by use of recessed halogens (50 w).
- The circular nature create a sense of movement towards the staircase.
- Accent lighting has been used to highlight the posters.
LIGHT QUALITY ON STAIRCASES
QUALITATIVE FEATURES ON STAIRCASES
- Staircases are adequately lighted with a lot of variation in color and type of lighting used.
- All the lighting fixtures are ceiling mounted and recessed or hidden .
- Landings have been separately lighted.
- A transition state has been created on each landing by the use of yellow light fixtures .
- The stairs have been lighted with white light .
- Hidden lighting fixtures have been used at certain points to break the monotony of the ambient lighting.
LIGHT QUALITY IN CORRIDORS
QUALITATIVE FEATURES IN CORRIDORS
- One experiences variations in the intensity of light as we move towards the entrance .
- The side corridor is dimly lighted , the lux level in the front corridor is comparatively higher.
- The changes in the lux levels has been done purposely to accentuate the feeling of being closer to the auditorium.
- White light is used in the front corridor to create a soothing environment and to reduce the anxiety level while yellow light has been used in the side corridors.
- All fixtures are ceiling mounted , recessed halogens (50 w)
LIGHT QUALITY IN THE FOYER
QUALITATIVE FEATURES THE FOYER
- The main foyer is highly illuminated by the use of wall and ceiling lighting fixtures.
- Variation in the light intensity can be seen in different parts of the same space .
- The food joints have been very brightly illuminated.
- Ambient and accent lighting has been provided which also take care of the task lighting.
- Chandelier has been placed in the center with ceiling mounted halogens alongside .
- The food joints have been over illuminated shifting the focus towards it.
- The reflective nature of the walls , floor and the ceiling helps creating a soothing environment.
- There are two types and color of light that have been used in the foyer categorizing different functions.
- Although the foyer has been adequately lighted , the lighting quality produced by the chandelier creates a different ambience within itself .
- Accent lighting has been used to accentuate the entrance to the auditorium in the same space but with different color.
LIGHT QUALITY IN WAITING LOUNGE
QUALITATIVE FEATURES IN WAITING LOUNGE
- Each sitting space has been highlighted with white light
- Rest of the circulation space has been dimly illuminated with diffused yellow light.
- The variation in the light quality is clearly visible within the sitting area and the way the ambient (diffused) and accent lighting has been used , it creates a separate enclosure within itself without any physical demarcation.
LIGHT QUALITY IN WALL DISPLAYS
QUALITATIVE FEATURES IN WALL DISPLAYS
- Various type of lighting fixtures have been used for accent lighting of the wall displays in relation to the surrounding environment.
- Wall mounted fixtures have been used to focus on the displays .
- Different color lighting has been used for getting different effects for the displays.
- Yellow light has been used to provide depth to the displays
- White light has been used to achieve greater clarity.
- Acoustic planning should ensure that optimum audible conditions are created for listeners in room where speech and music are to be carried out.
- Two important factors considered in acoustic planning are :
- Reverberation time: time taken for the decay of a noise level of 60db after the sound source has been turned off.
- Reflections as the consequences of the primary and secondary structure of the room.
- Neighboring auditoriums should be separated with partition walls of approximately 85 db 18-20000 hz.
- Acoustic deflecting surfaces on the ceiling with low acoustic delay difference time.
- The reverberation time can increase with increasing room volume and decrease from 0.8-0.2 secs from low to high frequency.
- The rear wall behind the last row of seats should be sound absorbent to prevent echo.
ACOUSTIC TREATMENT DONE IN AUDITORIUM
- A double layered gypsum board(2 x 15 mm thick) for false ceiling with 100 mm thick fiber glass(32 kg/cum) .
- For walls fiber glass(32 kg/cum) of 100 mm thickness and black tissue facing is supported in 100 mm GI stud frame work@610mm c/c with chicken mesh on both sides of insulation with air gap.
- The side walls have been treated with 100 mm thick fiber glass (12 kg/cum ) supported in 100 mm GI stud framework @ 610 mm c\c with chicken mesh for air gap and finally fixing 2 layers of gypsum board ( 15 mm thick ) over GI frame work.
- The side walls above 2400 mm have been treated with 50 mm thick fiber glass (32 kg\cum) with black tissue facing supported in 48 mm GI stud framing @ 610 mm c\c with chicken wire mesh.
- Fix 100 mm thick acoustic panels comprising 100 mm thick fiber glass ( 80 kg/cum ) wrapped with acoustically transparent fabric supported in 100 mm GI stud framework with one side chicken wire mesh & other side finished with perforated GI sheet. The panel is to be mounted on single layer of 15 mm thick gypsum board fixed on the wall with GI section.
- As the building has been renovated and converted into a cineplex , as expected it has not been given those bright and vibrant lighting as is seen generally in other cineplexes , rather out here the lighting is very subtle and classic sort , which has been done on purpose as all the interiors of the building are done in the classic style.
- Being a cineplex one of the main concern for the people running it was the acoustics of the building , which they have taken lots of pain to make efficient.