WHAT IS WATER PROOFING?
Water proofing is defined as treatment of surface or structure to prevent the passage of water under hydrostatic pressure .
- Water seepage into building reduces the life of building materials.
- Dampness in the building spoils its aesthetics.
- Dampness attracts and breeds biological growth and termite leading to unhygienic condition.
- Tapecrete find its application in the following areas:
- For waterproofing of building terrace, toilet, walls, basements.
- For waterproofing of watertanks and swimming pools.
- For bonding new concrete to old concrete.
- As a repair mortar for thin layers.
- For patching and levelling applications.
- For hard wearing lining in channels and water treatment plant.
- As an additive with cement paints which improves waterproofing property, coverage and life of cement paint.
- As a coating on new wall before putty and paints for better bonding.
- As waterproofing additive for cement slurry coats.
- For manufacture of cement mortar with improved chemical resistance.
- Can be used for protection of steel sheet roofing.
- Recommended for use in underground structure and repair of damaged conctrete. for protection of corroded reinforcement in existing structure
- Easy to use
- It is good chemical resistance.
- It is non-toxic.
- Resistance to fungus and micro organism growth.
- Increase bond strength, flexural, tensile strength and elasticity.
- Coating is highly durable even in continuous contact with water.
- Excellent adhesion with steel and concrete.
- Initial setting time: 4-6 hours
- Initial curing time: 72 hours
- Complete curing time: 28 days under water immersion
- Packing: available in 1, 5, 20, 225, lt. pack
- Price: rs. 245 per ltr.
- It must be protected from very fast drying under the extreme temperatures.
- Bonding material: bond cement with almost all types of building material
- Repair mortar for cracks and crevices
- Polymer concrete
- Durable cement paints
- Terrazzo flooring: increases the workability of the terrazzo mix.
Dr. Fixit Newcoat(Acrylic based heavy-duty micro fiber reinforced waterproofing system)
Used for waterproofing treatment for terrace
Dr. Fixit Crack X Powder
Used for filling cracks in plastered surfaces (internal & external)
Dr. Fixit Primeseal
Used as water based acrylic primer for exterior & interior
- Prior to application of tapecrete, surface must be prepared as mentioned below to avoid failure and to achieve maximum beneficial properties.
- The surface shall be cleaned to remove all dust, foreign matters, loose materials or any deposits of contamination which could affect the bond between the surface and the tapecrete Coating. This can be done by scarifying, grinding, water blasting, sand blasting, acid washing or by any other approved method.
- New flat surface like sub-base concrete shall be made reasonably smooth so as not to impede the application of tapecrete Coating and to avoid sharp projections.
- All concrete surfaces shall be thoroughly pre-wetted prior to the application of tapecrete Coating by pouring water on flat surface or by spraying water on vertical/inclined surfaces.
- When placing tapecrete Coating, water should be removed so that surface is only damp. In no case there should be standing water. Depressions are to be filled and levelled using tapecrete fillers. For filler, the mixing ratio is 1 kg. cement : 1.5 kg silica sand : 0.50 kg. of tapecrete.
- It is an artificial pozzolana made by powdering burnt bricks.
- In older times, a very special lime surkhi, was used, which was successful, needed very skilled and experienced people.
- Brick bat coba is common in north india.
- Due to lack of quality labour, materials and paucity of time, this system is not successful.
- The surkhi or brick bat coba is used to provide slopes on the flat terraces
- Is mainly used for easy draining of rainwater to avoid the contact between water and roof.
- And it is also used for some sort of poor insulation.
- Cleaning the base surface :- Cement based water proofing treatment with brick bats (Indian water proofing or alike) laid in required slope to drain the water for any span is providing after cleaning the base surface.
- Applying a coat of cement slurry.
- Laying the brick bats on bottom layer , filling up to half depth of brick bats.
- Curing this layer for 3 days.
- Applying cement slurry over this layer jointing of brick bats admixed with approved water proofing compound.
- And finally top finishing with average 20 mm thick layers of same mortar added with jute fibre at 1 kg per bag including finishing the surface smooth with cement slurry.
- Marking finished surface with false squares of 300 mm x 300 mm making the junctions at the parapet rounded and tapered towards top for required height, with drip mold at the junction of plaster and parapet.
- The screen provided over the brick concrete cracks because of non-compatibility of Brick bat coba (surkhi) with cement.
- These cracks allow ingress of water, which travels through the brickbat (which is so porous) to the RCC slab. This whole process results in the failure of the waterproofing system and the slab starts leaking.
- Generally, bitumen felt is applied on roof surfaces, which have a failed surkhi or brick bat coba system. Bitumen or bitumen felt is no solution as the bitumen tends to crack due to the oxidation/UV radiation in a couple of seasons and in fact worsens the situation.
- Waterproofing chemical are available in market mainly in these forms:
- Integral liquid waterproofing compound.
- Integral waterproofing powder.
- Waterproof undercoat (primer).
- Transparent water repellent coating.
- White water proofer.
- Reduces permeability of concrete.
- Increases workability.
- Improves surface finish.
- Reduces chances of hairline cracks.
- provides plastic zinc properties to concrete. Low dosage required
- Easy to use.
- DPC of structures.
- Concrete mortar.
- Reduces porosity of concrete.
- Can be used with any portland cement.
- Increases concrete permeability
- waterproofs the mortar/plaster.
- Low dasage required
- Cholride free and hydrophober
- DPC of structures.
- Concrete mortar.
- New plaster
- 0.5kg. 1 Kg. 25 Kg.
- Roof hytite Rs. 35 per 500g.
- Fills minor undulations on walls
- Smooth finish
- ADVANTAGE: White fine finish Reflective surface.
- Where to use: roof, sloping roof, dome, shelf roof.
- Chemistic Inc.
- Dr. Fixit
- CICO Technologies ltd